Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pecan Pie!

Spring has started but I still have many winter Pies on the index to make yet... I thought Pecan Pie could suit a sunny, almost spring like day, but would still fullfill the winter Pie list.

To try and include a photo of myself during this process: As requested by Braden...



On page 313 the Pecan Pie recipe states this: "Traditional recipe from Tidewater Virginia. The choice among all desserts served at world renowned Williamsburg Inn in restored colonial Williamsburg." After reading this I decided to Google the Williamsburg Inn. I don't see any mention of said Pecan Pie but it certainly seems like a beautiful place. I'll let you Google it, as well, to see for yourself.


I started out this Pie by making the one crust recipe from page 310.
Unbaked Pie Shell
Next-- Assembled the filling. This filling had me a bit apprehensive because for 1. I had never made a Pecan Pie before and 2. everything was brown at the end. The first ingredients I added was the sugar and melted butter, I did this first because it helped the sugar melt slightly and it also gave me time to mix the two together so that the butter would cool down. Seeing as I just put hot, melted butter in the bowl, I wanted to cool it first before I added the eggs in the recipe. If you don't you may end up with scrambled bits of eggs in your filling and honestly that is gross. 



Sugar and Melted Butter





The eggs were added last, after I sprinkled in salt and the dark corn syrup-that apparently only exists on the bottom left corner of isle 7 at Fred Meyers. 


 The VERY last step to the filling was of course the Pecans, chopped in half. If you buy your Pecans in bulk like I do, you may want to bring along a measuring cup and purchase about a cup and 1/4 cup of whole Pecans. When you chop them in half it reduces the mass in your cup. Also, a little side note for the Pecans: it was less expensive to buy in bulk. Not only were they natural but they didn't have any random additives or were as costly as the prepackaged Pecans on the baking isle of the store. 



Pecans added: Before being baked

 This is the first entry I have made while actually eating the Pie I am writing about. I don't know if this means the pie has improved a lot, but I would like to think so. 




I really enjoyed making this traditional Pie and am definitely looking forward to Spring and Summer Pies! Thank you for reading along-- Don't forget to follow my blog so you can see my updates.
Ta Daaa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment